Sunday, February 22, 2009

Not by Chance

Today was one of those days. It was also one of those Sundays that I just didn't want to go. The kids were being horrible all morning, crying, not getting dressed or helping at all. Trent is the ward clerk in our ward so he is gone on Sunday mornings and I am left to get the kids ready. Ruby was being especially hard, none stop crying and well you can't drop off a 2 year old whose been crying all morning to nursery. She's been sick for a few days, nothing bad, just under the weather. So Trent left with Hudson and I told him to come and pick Ruby and I up just before Sacrament.
I slowly got ready, since I had 2 hours the whole time thinking that when he showed I'd just send him back and I'd stay home. But I got dressed and got Ruby ready because even though I didn't want to go I knew that I should. I didn't realize it was Ward Conference, I was kind of sad that I missed my first two meetings and prayed that I would be able to feel the spirit in this last meeting and feel at peace. I needed it today. The first 30 min the kids just wouldn't be quiet. Ruby was singing and talking so loud I am trying to teach her how to whisper but she hasn't picked up on it yet. And Hudson just kept bugging her. The sacrament was passed and they finally calmed down and it was our Bishops turn to speak. The minute he got up he started to cry and I was over come with emotion and the spirit instantly. He then began to say that he was impressed to speak about how amazing this ward was and how amazing the families are in this ward. He said he was impressed by the spirit to speak about all the families in our ward who have had infants pass away. I instantly started to cry, I couldn't control my emotions. It was one of those ugly cries where you just sob and can't stop. I felt as though my heart was going to jump out of my chest. The worst part was I didn't have a tissue either. He went on to say that he knew it wasn't by chance that we were all together, that 1 in 100,000 (or something like that) that lose babies and that there are so many in this ward. We are to be togther to help each other.
See, Trent and I have only been in this home/ward a little over 2 months, yup, we moved a few weeks after Harrison was born, talk about hard and stressful. We spoke in church two weeks ago and we were not given topics. I prayed so hard as to what I might speak on and it just kept coming back to trials. I told our story about me being so sick the whole pregnancy, about moving three times this year, and about losing our baby boy. When the meeting was over we had so many families come up to us and say that they had lost babies as well. I was shocked and felt horrible. One women imparticular has an amazing story and I don't think she'd mind you reading about it, click here. Her blog is private but a good friend of mine wrote a post about her just recently. Have a tissue handy. She is an amazing women and I feel so privileged and blessed to be apart of her ward and life.
Anyways, I just know that the Lord has a hand in our lives and if we just have faith in him he will lead us through all our struggles. I know that I am in my ward for a reason. I am so amazed and look at all these families and their struggles and see how amazing they are and it gives me hope that I can one day be like them.

3 comments:

  1. ((hugs hugs hugs)) My last ward was one of those that I was there for a reason. It wasn't that a lot of families had lost babies (it was a married student ward), but that the bishop had and I needed him so much. Isn't it wonderful that the Lord knows us well enough to know where we need to be, even when we don't know that we need it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You dont know me but I am Lauren Dalpias' friend ashley. Thanks for starting this blog. I recently had a baby and I couldn't imagine losing her. My mom lost twins at about twenty weeks. I wasn't born yet. You are an inspiration to me when I desperately need it in my life. I have had a hard time feeling the spirit lately and reading your blog helps a lot. So thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing bishop to face such a tragic topic. I'm sure the ladies in your ward are glad you are there, you have so much to share with others. At times I wish there was someone in my ward who had also lost a baby...someone I could "really talk to" who could understand. However, I have to admit that our ward came together in such an amazing way...we were so humbled by the outpouring of love and support. We are all blessed to be part of such a great organization!
    Love ya :)

    ReplyDelete