Saturday, February 21, 2009

Questions

I am one of those people who worries about what other people think, a lot. I want to be liked by all, I don't want to offend anyone, I don't like contention. So I worry. I remember a short time after I had Harrison I worried about what people thought and still worry. I wonder if they think, "Oh he was only 20 weeks, you didn't even know him. Or, "He couldn't have survived so why is it so hard" and so on. I think about that often. I feel as though when I see other mothers grieving for their lost children that they are justified in doing so. Many people I know and have come across have lost their children at almost full term due to umbilical cord accidents or other things. They are justified in their grieving and loss because their babies had every chance of survival, they were with them full term and were babies. Or those mothers whose babies lived for awhile and due to some reason were not able to survive. Or mothers who have a child die at any age for that matter. For some reason I always have the thought in mind that if I am sad that people wonder why. But then I think of mothers who've lost a baby due to a miscarriage and were never able to see or hold their baby, how much that hurts. Or those mothers who have infertility problems and have no been able to conceive a child of their own how much that must hurt. I believe we are all justified in our grieving. Being a mother is our Divine right and purpose for being on this earth. Whether in this life or the next we will all be able to be Mothers.

Many women who have had the opportunity to become a mother will understand in some way how I am feeling. Do you remember the feeling when you first found out you were pregnant? Maybe you were scared, worried, frightened. Maybe you were happy, excited, it was a long time coming. You connect with that baby instantly. You wonder what they'll look like, how they'll talk, if it will be a boy or girl. There is spirit in that baby inside of you from the moment they were conceived I believe. I had all of those feelings and thoughts with Harrison. I was able to see him in pictures through ultrasounds, see his heartbeat, see him move, see his profile. I was far enough along that I had gained a little weight, so people knew I was pregnant just by looking at me, I had a belly. I was far enough along that I had felt him move, my husband could even feel him kick. I was far enough along that I found out that my baby was a boy. My husband, children, and I had a connection to him. He was our baby boy.
So when my body went into labor and there was nothing they could do I was devastated. My baby boy, my Harrison was alive and well. There was nothing wrong with him. He lived until the very end of my labor, but he was too little to survive in this world. The most amazing thing was that even at 21 weeks he was a baby. He was a tiny baby, only 13.2 oz but he was a baby. He was perfect, he had everything that newborns have, fingernails, toes, the cutest little ears. He was a baby. I was able to hold him, kiss him, feel him. He was my baby and yet he's not here with me. I had to give him away, I had to say goodbye. I can't hold him anymore or feel him anymore.
I had many questions and still do, which many will not be answered, but I searched for answers in the Book of Mormon, through Prophets talks to see that I was justified in my feelings and that what I believed, that I would be able to raise him someday was true.
Then a friend of mine, a friend who early on in her pregnancy had lost a baby, sent me an email with answers to questions I had. Not much is said on Stillborn children, but she found this in Mormon Doctrine:

"...That masterful document on the origin of man by the First Presidency of the Church (Joseph F. Smith, John R. Winder, and Anthon H. Lund) appears to bear out the concept that the eternal spirit enters the body prior to a normal birth, and therefore that stillborn children will be resurrected. It states: "The body of man enters upon its career as a tiny germ or embryo, which becomes an infant, quickened at a certain stage by the spirit whose tabernacle it is, and the child, after being born, develops into a man." (Man: His Origin and Destiny, p. 354.) This interpretation is in harmony with the general knowledge we have of the mercy and justice of that Infinite Being in whose divine economy nothing is ever lost. It would appear that we can look forward with hope and anticipation for the resurrection of stillborn children.

President Brigham Young taught that "when the mother feels life come to her infant, it is the spirit entering the body preparatory to the immortal existence";

President Joseph Fielding Smith gave it as his opinion "that these little ones will receive a resurrection and then belong to us."

There it was. I am justified in my feelings. Harrison was a baby and was my baby. He had a spirit and I knew it. I believed I would be able to raise him again someday and I was right. He will be able to be resurrected as we all will and will be able to be whole, spirit and body one day and I will be able to hold him, hug him, and kiss him and raise him.

5 comments:

  1. You are completely justified in your feelings! Just because you feel them means they are valid but more than that you did lose a baby and have every right to mourn. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise! Thank you for your example. I love those quotes too...they give me hope!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found that Joseph Fielding Smith quote. My parents' home teacher gave them that quote to give to me, and it helped so much. You know, my mother lost her first baby at 21 weeks. The placenta was partially abrupted, she was hemorrhaging, and had gotten an infection that was killing her. They had to induce, and while Bethany was alive at the beginning of labor, she was not born alive. She still grieves for her little girl (not the knifing, crippling, new grief, but a grief nonetheless). Yes, you are justified in missing him, because he IS a part of your family. You love him, and he is not with you, so you miss him. I don't consider myself any more justified because I had 18 more weeks with my Cora. We are both in the same situation. As justified, and as heartbroken. (hugs) to you. It gets easier. Eventually the crippling tears will become sweet memories. Until then, let the Savior hold you in His arms. I know that He is crying with you. And Harrison is such a beautiful little boy. Never forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was all absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
    And little Harry has the cutest little feet I have ever seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I found your blog and was really caught with emotion and saddness. I am sorry for your loss of your sweet baby boy. Words can never describe the emotions of one's sadness, I have been in your situation a few times. Almost 5 years ago we lost our baby Ashton at 24 weeks. 2 years ago a loss at 20 weeks and just a year ago the first of March at 10 weeks.
    It is the hardest thing to go through but yet such an honor to be the parents to a spirit who was just too strong.
    I believe we will see our babies again and I believe they are with us all the time. If you ever need to chat with anyone my lines are always opened. What a beautiful boy you have..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi April. Thank you for doing this. You said everything I feel everyday. I think it is especially hard for those who have not experienced it (not that I wish it on anyone) to understand months later why I still randomly grieve and especially as my due date gets closer. As for trying again, after I lost my daughter I thought I would never be able to go through it again. When I lost Nevis, my son, this year, it sounds crazy to even say it, but I realized I was becoming a bit more seasoned to my feelings of grief and able to recover and gain spiritual strength and trust in the Lord easier. I was definitely angry and extremely sad, but none the less wiser and stronger. I realized that it's ALL on the Lord's terms and that took away the burden in deciding when to try again. Ultimately, we can try but the Lord will decide when it's right for us. Trusting in him is the real battle! :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete